Friday, May 8, 2009

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

We had another birthday in the office today so I baked another batch of cookies. Although these were a special request, I have worked through this recipe one time before. It calls for the usual fare, but it also includes wheat germ, which adds a little something to the cookies. I had the hardest time finding it at the grocery store - I had no idea where to look for it! First, I assumed it would be in the bulk food section. Some of our local stores have fantastic bulk foods and I can only purchase the amount that I need if it is something that I don't use that often. But they also have choices for different types of salt and flour but I haven't branched out into that yet. The stores closest to me did not have it the bulk area and the clerks were useless. I called another store and asked and they were able to direct me to which side of the aisle to find it. I felt rather silly once I found it because I realized that the closer stores also carried; I just didn't know where to look. In case you're wondering, it's in the cereal aisle, usually near the end and on an upper shelf.

This batch of cookies reinforced the idea of thoroughly checking the ingredient list and making a list before going to the store. While I did have the elusive wheat germ, I forgot to check my supply of raisins! After combining the dry ingredients and getting the butter into the mixing bowl, I realized I didn't have enough raisins. I had to turn off my oven and run to the store. I hate running to the store for just one item - it makes me look like such a scatterbrain and fate will always put me in the slowest line possible if I'm in any sort of a rush. I made sure to buy the large canister of raisins, in case I have any emergencies!

Once everything was in order, the whole batch came together nicely, although my count was a little short of Martha's projection of 5 dozen. I ended up with 4 dozen, which still is a lot of cookies. Mine were also a little thinner and crisper than the picture in the book - I'm blaming the wonky temperatures on my ancient oven. I'm serious, my next major purchase will be a new oven.

As always, the cookies were a big hit. Check 'em out...

I always get a nice little assembly line going. :)

The whole batch.


On the plus side, I learned how to turn off my flash (nevermind that I've had the camera for like 4 years!) since all of my attempts at close ups washed everything out. The texture on these was amazing.

Coming up on One Smart Cookie... Actual baking with Grandma! Yes in a few short weeks I'll be heading north, experiencing real spring (as opposed to our 1 day of it) and working on making those yeast rolls whose recipe she keeps in her head. The last time we made them, just as the dough was ready for the first rise, I noticed that she didn't use any eggs. Her response, a very cute, "Well, not this time!". I'll be taking copious notes. I just had an idea, I might even record it for posterity! And of course, I'll be sharing the whole adventure with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment