Sunday, October 25, 2009

It's Always Something (Icebox Cookies)

The other day I was shopping and passed by Sur La Table and for those of you unfamiliar, it is a higher end kitchen & cooking supply store. It's a lot like I would imagine heaven would be like, actually. I couldn't skip by without peeking inside so I made my way to the back, where all of the baking supplies live. Granted, most of the things that I need I can find at the grocery store for a better price (sanding sugar, vanilla extract) but if I ever need a kangaroo shaped cookie cutter, I know where to find it. I also noticed that they had some really nice baking chocolate and different varities of cocoa powder. That's been sort of a quest for me lately so I had to check it out. And I found this...
I realize that it isn't my precious dutch process powder, but come on, it's Valrhona! Probably one of the best chocolate makers in the world. I had to have it. So I bought it. And then I had to scan through "the book" to find recipes I could use it in.

Icebox Bull's Eyes & Spirals sounded easy enough, even if it was a little futzy, with dividing the dough into portions and rests in the refrigerator. The only modification I made was using 1% milk rather than whole, only because I didn't want to make a trip to the store on a Sunday.

Bull's Eyes, pre-oven

Spirals, pre-oven

Martha would not be pleased with the shapes of my spirals and bull's eyes but cut me some slack, it's my first try.

Bull's Eyes, post oven

Spirals, post oven

Since I had so much down time while the dough rested, I tried to keep up with the mess I'd made. I put the mixing bowl in the sink and filled it with warm, soapy water to let the other utensils soak for a bit. Me being the klutz that I am, I managed to knock it over, spilling a lot of water on the counter, on "the book" and all over the floor. I salvaged the book, although now a lot of the pages are going to show some wear. And on the plus side, I've put a little dent in washing the kitchen floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment