Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Inspiration

I've been home for a little more than a week after visiting my Grandma. She sent me cookies that were a complete finals life-saver while I was in college. And she makes the most amazing yeast rolls you will ever taste.

Grandma in her tiny little kitchen with her enormous "baking pan". Look at how smooth that dough looks! Isn't she adorable?!

Since she lives in Wisconsin and I live in Texas, I don't see her as often as I would like. She's also getting a little older and not baking as much as she used to. She's been kind enough to share most of her recipes with me since I've taken an interest in baking for myself. In past visits, I've worked with her while making those fabulous rolls, but she doesn't really follow a recipe and moves to fast to take good notes. This time, I had technology on my side and recorded her during the initial stages - it's amazing what she can do with just 6 ingredients.

Armed with the video, a new giant bowl (Grandma said I could have her baking pan someday since none of my cousins are interested in it) and the yeast I had to go to 3 different stores to find, I started a batch of rolls by myself yesterday. Other than the texture of the yeast being questionable and the general stickiness of the dough, I think I did alright for my first attempt. I didn't kill the yeast like I thought I might. I was reminded about a story that Grandma shared with me about the first time her sister tried to make bread when they're mother was away. Her father (my great-grandfather) told her they would turn out better the next time. These were good but they'll get better each time.

It doesn't look as nice as Gran's but not bad for a first try.

Here it is after its second rise. That's pretty much doubled, right?

The first pan out of the oven...

Three trays of regular rolls (not quite 3 dozen) and one tray of cinnamon rolls. Yeah, I burned my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment